Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What's the Definition of Insanity...

I've been trying, once again, to get my OpenSIM accessible to the outside world.

I've been, once again, unsuccessful.  I've been using Sim on a Stick as the base.  It's easy to set up mostly, just download and install.  It runs just fine just locally installed to a machine and not On a Stick and I'm not planning to load the place up with 100 visitors or anything.

I did some checking and it turns out, there's a handy guide available to get things set up.  A couple of things that I might mention for anyone planning to do this themselves.  I'd recommend backing up your configuration files before editing them.  However, don't back them up in the same directory, since, at least for regions.ini, the simulator will still see the backup file and it may cause problems with duplicate regions, UUIDs.

So anyway, I got things set up, everything loaded up fine and dandy, I even managed to log in from the local machine, though not without some issues.


As kind of neat as that crazy grid effect is, I'm not super happy with being a gray blob.  I tried reuploading and remaking my skin and everything, no luck.  I can deal with that for now  though if it means I can access my grid from the outside world.

Unfortunately, when I had the chance to test it later that day, I ran into the same wall as I had previously.  Everything seems to work, it handshakes and authenticates but then stalls out on "connecting to region".  I suspect it's a firewall issue of some sort.  I've done more than the appropriate port forwards in my router so I suspect the issue on the machine.

2 comments:

  1. You might be bumping up against the dreaded loopback issue. if you're in windows the answer is to install a loopback device with your current IP address in it.

    Here's a guid for how to do it in windows:
    http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/how-to-install-a-loopback-adapter-in-windows-7/

    I feel bad for not seeing this earlier -let me know if that sorts things out or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which IP do I use? My Network IP or my Internet IP?

    ReplyDelete